Video files are normally made up of two tracks: video and audio. Sometimes you might need to add a second video track for layering purposes, but this is less common than adding a second audio track. If you want to add background music or voiceover commentary, another audio track is exactly what you need. In other situations, it could be the other way around, and you’ll want to remove audio from MP4.
By removing an MP4 audio track, there are a lot of possibilities. Perhaps the existing audio has background noise, or you want to record commentary again without recording the video too. How do you go about doing this? We’ll explain the best ways to remove audio tracks from an MP4 file in this post.
1. Top Method – Wondershare Filmora
Starting off our list is Wondershare Filmora. This video editing program is great for all things video, including editing an MP4’s audio track.
- Add up to 100 video and audio tracks, or remove them
- Choose between removing audio, muting the audio, or lowering the volume
- Convert MP4 files to different formats
- Trim a video’s audio track and change the audio levels
- Save your files as formats for specific devices
- Burn MP4 videos to DVDs
- Download it and use for free
If using Filmora to remove audio from MP4 sounds easy, then you would be right, it is. As a top of the line video editor, it’s only natural that it’s user-friendly and has impressive features for both video and audio editing.
Steps to Remove MP4 Audio with Filmora
As simple as we believe Wondershare Filmora to be, not everyone feels comfortable jumping into the program and using it straight away. If this is a new video editing software for you, then follow our instructions to remove an MP4 file’s audio.
- Step #1 – Download Filmora to your computer, and when the install finishes, launch it.
- Step #2 – Click on “Import” then locate and select the MP4 file you want to remove audio from.
- Step #3 – Drag the MP4 file down and onto the timeline.
- Step #4 – Once the file is shown on the timeline, right-click it, and select “Audio Detach.” You can also click the video and press CTRL + ALT + D on your keyboard.
- Step #5 – The video and audio tracks should now be separate on the timeline. Click the audio track, right-click it, and press “Delete.”
- Step #6 (OPTIONAL) – To replace the audio track, just import the new audio file and drag it onto the timeline too.
- Step #7 – To save your work in a new file, either without audio or a different audio track, press “Create.”
- Step #8 – Choose one of the output formats and then a destination folder. Finalize the process by clicking “Export.”
Removing the audio track is as simple as that. Filmora remains a popular and easy-to-use program, and it is indirectly the perfect program to remove audio from MP4. That isn’t the only solution you can use, though – we have others to consider.
2. Remove Audio from MP4 Online
If you want to avoid installing another piece of software on the computer, there’re plenty of online tools. AudioRemover is one of those tools, and as you can guess from the name, it’s specifically for removing audio. It’s not just for MP4 files, and it also works with AVI, MOV, and most other video formats.
As well as not requiring a download, you won’t have to sign up either. Head over to the website and follow our guide below.
- Step #1 – Open an internet browser and go to the AudioRemover website.
- Step #2 – Click the “Browse…” button and choose the MP4 file to remove audio from.
- Step #3 – Press “Upload Video,” and as soon as the upload is done, it’ll begin removing the audio.
- Step #4 – After AudioRemover processes your video, a checkmark will appear, and you can click “Download File” to retrieve the new MP4 without audio.
There are pros and cons when you remove audio from MP4 with an online tool. On the one hand, you can use it anywhere without redownloading software; on the other hand, there are upload limits. It’s rare that users will need to upload a file more than 500Mb, but it’s still a limitation.
3. Using VLC to Remove MP4 Audio
VLC Media Player is mostly known as a versatile and handy media player. It can play many more file types than Windows’ default media player can, and it’s also a media server. Use VLC to remove audio from a video by following these instructions:
- Step #1 – Download and launch VLC Media Player.
- Step #2 – At the top of the window, click the “Media” dropdown menu and then “Convert / Save…“.
- Step #3 – On the new window, select the “File” tab and press “Add…“.
- Step #4 – Locate and select the MP4 video, then click “Convert / Save” again.
- Step #5 – Select an MP4 profile from the dropdown list.
- Step #6 – Click the tools icon next to the profile.
- Step #7 – In the “Encapsulation” menu, choose MP4/MOV as the video container.
- Step #8 – Go to the “Video Codec” tab and tick “Keep original video track.”
- Step #9 – Go to the “Audio Codec” tab and untick “Audio.”
- Step #10 – Finally, click on “Save” and choose a save location for the new file.
This method is more complex and looks difficult, but it’s not as hard as it seems. VLC is a great media player and is a suitable way to remove audio tracks.
4. Using Shotcut to Remove MP4 Audio
Another video editing program that can also remove audio from MP4 is Shotcut. It’s free and available on Windows, Mac, and Linux computers.
- Step #1 – Download and install Shotcut, then launch it.
- Step #2 – Press the “Open File” button and select the MP4 file.
- Step #3 – Shotcut will autoplay the video, so pause it before proceeding to click “Export.”
- Step #4 – The export windows will appear. Next to “Format” choose MP4 and under the “Audio” tab check “Disable audio.”
- Step #5 – At the bottom of the menu, click “Export File” and choose somewhere to save the file.
This process is relatively similar to using VLC, but a little bit easier. You could also convert the MP4 file to a different format during these steps.
5. Using Lightworks to Remove MP4 Audio
Lightworks is the next program we’ll be focusing on. Most users take Lightworks as a free video editor, and with the help of its built-in features, we can remove audio from MP4 flawlessly.
- Step #1 – After installing Lightworks on your PC, run the program to begin.
- Step #2 – Click “Create a new project” and type a suitable name for the video project.
- Step #3 – Choose “Auto” as the video’s framerate setting and press “Create.”
- Step #4 – Navigate to the “Local Files” tab and click “Places” to choose an MP4 file.
- Step #5 – After the video is on Lightworks, click it and then click “Import.”
- Step #6 – From the top menu, click “Edit” and drag the MP4 video down to the timeline.
- Step #7 – All of the file’s tracks will appear. Track V1 is the video, and track A1 (and maybe A2) is the audio; some videos will also have A3 and A4.
- Step #8 – Select A1 and A2, right-click on them, and click “Delete.” Similarly, if the video has A3 and A4 tracks, delete those too.
- Step #9 – Now that there is only a video track, right-click the timeline and select “Export > H.264/MP4“.
- Step #10 – Select a destination folder and give the video file a name, then press “Start.”
Again, it looks as though Lightworks has a difficult audio removal process, but in reality, it’s simple. If you follow these steps, then removing MP4 audio will be quick and easy.
6. Using MKVToolNix to Remove MKV Audio
For this final method, we’ve got MKVToolNix. This tool isn’t meant to remove audio from MP4 but is actually for removing MKV audio. MKVToolNix is a toolkit for handling MKV video files, which includes chapter management and various other basic useful tools.
- Step #1 – Download, install, and launch the MKVToolNix software.
- Step #2 – Click “Add source files” and open the MKV video.
- Step #3 – Go to the “Tracks, chapters and tags” menu and untick the audio track.
- Step #4 – Choose a destination to save the MKV file without an audio track.
- Step #5 – After you are happy with the settings, press “Start multiplexing” and MKVToolNix will process and create a new video file.
So, if you have an MKV file and need to remove the audio, MKVToolNix will be a lot of help. MKV files are different from MP4 files, and less common, although it is usually movies that are in MKV format.
Conclusion on How to Remove Audio from MP4
Wondershare Filmora acts quickly to remove audio from MP4, and it has several other purposes. As a video editor, it’s capable of so much more than audio removal. Other ways to remove MP4 audio like the AudioRemover online tool and VLC Media Player are equally as effective. Our recommendation is that Filmora is your first choice. Take some time to mess with the other features too – there is a lot that may surprise you. We hope that one of these solutions helps you to remove audio from an MP4 file successfully.